Student Review: Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan

Image from


Mel has grown up in a town founded by vampires. She lives there with her family and all of her close friends including her best friend Cathy, who LOVES all things vampire. Mel herself could care less about vampires, but would never want to become or watch any of her friends become one. However, one day a vampire comes to school named Francis, and Cathy is instantly done for. Mel then enlists the help of Kit, a human who was taken in by Francis' vampire shade, to keep her friend from making the worst mistake of her life. Along the way, Kit and Mel end up getting tangled up in a mystery with an end you won't see coming and learn some very valuable lessons about what it truly means to be human. I would absolutely recommend this book. It has a very interesting plot and some crazy twists and turns. I am a writer, so it is very hard for me to find a book where I cannot see what is coming a mile away. However, this book gave me some pretty decent surprises, and I had to think to figure most of it out, the rest honestly did befuddle me until I read the very last page. If you are looking for a fun book with a good plot and lots of laughs, I highly recommend this book for you. Also if you are super into the vampire scene and want a newer take on an age old story, this book is definitely for you. My recommendation: read it and love it!

- Rebekah, RRHS Student